Emails end up in spam/junk folders for several reasons, including the sender's (domain/IP) reputation, sending email address, frequency, subject line, and message content. Even legitimate and innocent emails can get trapped in spam filters based on small issues you may not have considered.
If a lot of your contacts click the Report Spam button in their email client (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo), those services can start to block your emails and deliver them straight to the spam folder.
How to avoid emails going to spam folders?
Follow these steps to make sure your emails reach the inbox.
1. Review and clean up your email list regularly: Make sure your email list is permission-based and that your contacts want to hear from you, and clear out the risky/unqualified contacts.
2. Segment your list: Engagement is key to inbox placement, target active contacts to increase engagement and earn higher inbox placement overall, and age out inactive contacts.
3. Send quality content: Only send highly relevant content that keeps your contacts interested, avoid spam-like characteristics.
4. Get the frequency right: Regularly contact your subscribers just in case they forget who you are or why they subscribed, but don't send too many as that can also be a reason to trigger people to report your email as spam.
5. Ask subscribers to report your emails as "Not Spam": Find your emails in the spam folder, and mark it as "Not Spam" or "Not Junk". Buttons and labels will vary by inbox. This can help keep future messages out of their spam folders and increase your sender's reputation.
6. Make it easy to unsubscribe: Put your unsubscribe link on the top, so people can easily unsubscribe if they really don't like you instead of reporting your emails as spam.
It’s time to improve your email deliverability!
If you do all the things right, you will start to see the inbox rate recovery in about one to two weeks.
Need more help? We’re here to help you stay in the know on best practices, and get your emails delivered. Contact us by submitting a request:
- Subject: Deliverability
- Select Technical Support -> Deliverability under the issue category
- Describe your problem.
- Our Deliverability Expert will contact you and help you improve results.